For most, spending up to 10 hours a day working in an office is a reality. Creating a healthy and uplifting office space can help make those hours feel a little more comfortable and even boost productivity.
While it would be nice to have all companies provide ergonomic and healthy work environments, it is still possible to create a happy little nook for yourself by making small alterations to your existing workspace.
A desk job can pose a host of hazards that could lead to health conditions over time. Long periods of stress, a predominantly sedentary lifestyle, and unhealthy eating habits are a few of the main risks associated with working long hours at a desk. As a result, both physical and mental faculties stand a good chance of being adversely affected.
Fortunately, there are a few quick steps that you can take to give your office space a healthy makeover.
Here are some suggestions:
- Get an Air-Purifier for Your Desk – Closed, air-conditioned spaces are known to trap allergens. A small desk air-purifier that utilizes a HEPA filter will help you breathe cleaner air and avoid allergies that affect the skin and the respiratory system.
- Get A Docking Station for Your Laptop/Stand for Your Monitor – It has been clinically proven that peering down at a computer screen for too long causes back and neck pain. By getting a docking station or a simple raised platform for your laptop or monitor, you can ensure that the screen is at eye-level. This will eliminate the need to keep your neck bent at an abnormal angle throughout the day while working those long hours at your desk.
- Decorate Your Desk in Shades of Green – Softer hues of the color green are said to have a calming effect while also stimulating the brain to think more creatively. You can try hanging small paintings or artwork in green near your desk. If you have a green thumb, a few desk plants will also help brighten your space and help to create cleaner air too! Our favorites are an aloe vera plant or a snake plant. See the link below for more air-purifying plants!
- Stock Up on Healthy Snacks – It is quite common to experience hunger pains while you are hard at work at your desk. For times like these, it is vital to have a small stash of healthy snacks stored in your desk. Try items like trail mixes, nuts, raisins, whole wheat crackers, and fresh fruit. By having healthy choices available, it will help you avoid the quick fix of junk food.
- Try Aromatherapy – A small oil diffuser placed in one corner of your desk is an excellent investment if you are fond of aromatherapy. The smell of fruits like lemons and oranges tends to uplift your mood and invigorate your mind. By using organic essential oils, you can avoid any allergic reactions that are usually triggered by artificial air fresheners and scents. If you are in an office with many people, try essential oils which have been properly diluted and placed into travel-friendly rollerball applicators. You can apply these to your neck or wrists to experience the benefits of aromatherapy without disrupting your coworkers.
If you work in an enclosed home office or at a desk in a corporate office, then a combination of the modifications mentioned above can transform your desk into a healthy sanctuary where you are at your creative best.
For more exciting tips, be sure to follow us on Facebook & Instagram.
What to Read Next: