Believe it or not, not all bacteria that reside within your body are harmful. A healthy quantity of ‘good’ bacteria is a prerequisite for staying healthy. Read further to learn how foods rich in probiotics can keep you in the peak of health all year long.
Probiotic means ‘for life’. The microorganisms that come under this umbrella include bacteria and yeasts that are capable of balancing the microflora in your body, therefore, improving health parameters like digestion and immunity. Probiotics can be consumed in the form of foods like yogurt, kefir and cottage cheese or can be taken as a supplement. Probiotic supplements are all the more beneficial in offsetting some gut-related side effects of antibiotics. Since antibiotics tend to get rid of disease-causing bacteria as well as good bacteria alike, they leave you prone to gastrointestinal issues like diarrhea, flatulence, and stomach spasms. To offset these effects, you can increase the intake of probiotics by taking a supplement every day. Other than that, eating probiotic foods on a regular basis is an excellent way to keep your body functioning optimally.
Here are some of the incredible health benefits of consuming a probiotic-rich diet:
- Tones Down the Severity of Infectious Diarrhea – A particular healthy bacteria found in most probiotics - Lactobacillus GG, helps in soothing a diarrhea-inflicted gut. By recalibrating the balance of gut microflora, such bacteria inhibit the inflammatory mechanisms responsible for inducing gastric distress.
- Helps Relieve Constipation – Research proves that frequent consumption of probiotics helps tame constipation by keeping the bowels moving and softening the stools. A diet that contains probiotics can also increase the number of bowel movements per week, therefore, keeping constipation at bay.
- Assists in Managing Conditions Like Crohn’s Disease and IBS – Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) and Crohn’s Disease are both conditions in which the lower GI tract is continuously irritated, leading to diarrhea, chronic tiredness, loss of appetite, and a drop in weight.
- Improves Immunity – A variety of good bacteria and yeasts like Lactobacillus casei, Bifidobacterium bifidum, and Saccharomyces cerevisiae Boulardii found in most probiotics are excellent at boosting your immunity especially against pathogens that attack the gastrointestinal system. Infections caused by E.Coli and Candida spp. can be averted by pumping good bacteria in your gut to form a protective barrier that cannot be breached by such invaders.
- Keeps Urogenital Issues Away – Yeast infections, urinary tract infections and bacterial vaginosis are common problems that afflict women all over the world. These conditions occur when there is an uncontrolled growth of disease-causing bacteria. Probiotics can help reinstate a balanced state and hasten the recovery process
For more exciting information like this subscribe to our updates here and follow us on our Facebook and Instagram handles!