Dry skin is a common condition experienced by most of us. Sometimes caused by cold weather, aging, or even an underlying medical condition it can range from slightly annoying to truly painful if left untreated. Come along as we explore a few home remedies to help sooth dry skin.
Dry skin is caused when the outer most layer of skin is lacking moisture. Store bought treatments and moisturizers can help, but sometimes are expensive or less than fully effective. There are a variety of home remedies that can be used to relieve dry skin. As always, be sure that your skin can tolerate a remedy by first patch testing on a small area or talk with your doctor.
- Aloe Vera – One of the most age-old remedies for skin conditions, aloe can help provide relief to dry, tight skin. Aloe is easy to grow and can provide fresh, pure gel year-round in Florida. Just clip off a leaf and squeeze enough gel to cover the affected area.
- Try this – Try using liberally on hands and feet and covering with socks/gloves overnight for refreshed, hydrated skin, naturally!
- Bonus tip – Try covering the aloe leaf and storing it in your refrigerator for a refreshing hydrator!
- Oatmeal Bath – Oatmeal is an excellent remedy for dry skin. Grind approximately one cup of raw, unflavored oats in a food processor until it resembles a fine powder. Add to a warm (but not hot) bath and allow to dissolve. Next, soak and relax in the bath for 15-30 minutes.
- Try this – Want to avoid the mess? You can also use whole oats in pantyhose, muslin or a coffee filter and tie off with a rubber band or string. Then, place the whole bag into the tub and allow it to infuse as the water is running and as you enjoy relaxing.
- Bonus tip – The oatmeal may make the bath slippery, so be cautious entering and exiting the tub.
- Coconut Oil – Recently, coconut oil has become popular to treat all kinds of ailments. Multiple studies have now proven that it is an excellent remedy for dry skin as it helps to increase the amount of fatty acids on the surface of the skin helping to make it smooth and hydrated.
- Try this – Make sure you choose extra virgin coconut oil instead of the refined type
- Bonus tip – Coconut oil will be solid at temps under approximately 75 degrees. Don’t worry, just take a small amount and it will warm up as you apply.
- Petroleum Jelly – Another age-old remedy to all type of skin ailments, a 2017 study confirms that petroleum jelly works especially well for dry skin caused by aging.
- Try this – Petroleum jelly also makes a great lip moisturizer!
- Bonus tip – Try applying liberally before bed to you hand/feet and cover with socks/gloves for an extra intensive dose of moisturizer
- Honey – A 2012 review summarizes how honey is great for many types of skin conditions. Honey is moisturizing, healing and anti-inflammatory.
- Try this – Try applying directly to skin and relaxing for about 20 minutes. Then, rinse and massage off thoroughly with water.
- Bonus tip – Ensure you buy raw, local honey – this is best for your skin and your local community!
Want more great, fun medical information? Make sure to follow us on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and LinkedIn!
Written By: S. Campbell for Access Health Care Physicians, LLC.